I love using veggies as vehicles of flavor. For dipping, for topping… even for turning into pizzas! I’m always looking for inventive ways to use what I have in the kitchen, and when I discovered that eggplant worked as a pizza “crust,” I had to give it a try. It was a hit for everyone – kids included!
The best part? You just need eight ingredients and 30 minutes. Try them for your next game-day appetizer or fun afternoon snack!
Mini Eggplant Pizzas
- 1 Eggplant medium
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 4 1/3 ozs Mozzarella Ball grated
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes optional
- 2 tbsps Basil Leaves finely chopped
- Cut the eggplant into equal slices about 1/2 inch thick. Generously brush each side of the eggplant with the oil and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook eggplant in batches until tender and browned about 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, turn the broiler on high.
- Transfer the browned eggplant slices to a baking sheet and top each with tomato sauce, dried oregano and shredded cheese. Broil the eggplant pizzas for 3 to 5 minutes until the cheese is melted, bubbly and browned.
- Top with red pepper flakes and fresh basil. Enjoy!